Image Map

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Spotlight Saturday: A Differentiated Kindergarten- Dramatic Play



 It's Saturday.... Spotlight Saturday with Erin from Kindergarten Dragons! So excited to do this post and really do some tpting and pinning research about Dramatic Play.  I'll be honest... I have a secret board on Pinterest board for Dramatic play I want to do in my classroom this year.  I know I won't be able to do all of them, but I can dream! I made it secret so that if I didn't manage to get it all done I would be the only one that knew... until now. So now I have people to keep me accountable (that's you!). In all my "research" I found a few pins that led back to Marsha at Differentiated Kindergarten.  Her philosophy is EXACTLY what I'm trying to do in my classroom: Create a fun, engaging, developmentally appropriate classroom.

Differentiated Kindergarten

My plan is to do around 10 different dramatic play spots. They will be put out at the beginning of a unit and will stay out until that unit is over (3 weeks).  There are a couple of ideas I have that will only be out 1 week because they go only with the topic of that week.  The play area will be used as a center 2 days per week for three weeks and also as a Friday Fun spot.  

So here are my projected Dramatic Play Areas: 
- Birthday Party
-Construction Site
-Travel Agency
-Entomologist Lab
-Pizza Parlor
-Flower Shop
-Farmer's Market
-News Room
-Pet Store
-Space
-Recycling Center
-Science Lab
-Bakery

I told you... Big ideas! However, I'd rather start with big ideas and not be able to accomplish them all than only have a few planned and wish I had done more.  I'll DEFINITELY be posting about how I'm using this in my classroom this year so stay tuned! 


6 comments:

  1. I love your idea of a Dramatic Play schedule!! I have found that writing out lists and schedules helps to hold myself accountable!! I have a lot of work to do in order to make my Dramatic Play center be all that it's supposed to be!! Thank you so much for sharing about Differentiated Kindergarten, and about your ideas for your Dramatic Play center!! I can't wait to read about how it works out for you this year!!
    Thank you so much for linking up for Spotlight Saturday, I really loved your Spotlight, it has inspired me to do more with my Dramatic Play area this year!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super excited about it too!! Part of my motivation is that I'll be able to write some awesome posts about it haha. Stay tuned! Thanks for stopping!

      Brittany

      Delete
  2. I really love this. While I teach fifth grade, I have a son going into preschool and I know he just eats up any situation where he can use his imagination with friends. I'm rooting you on-hope it goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I'm hoping for the best! :) I have HUGE plans for this year so I'm hoping I can get it all accomplished! Stay tuned to see more!

      Brittany

      Delete
  3. Brittany check out playtolearnpreschool.us! I love her dramatic play ideas!!! -Samantha

    ReplyDelete